Bandy Blacksmith Guild
A unique organization dedicated to preserving and teaching the art of blacksmithing, the Bandy Blacksmith Guild is headquartered in the Bandy Blacksmith Shop in the Escondido History Center Complex at Grape Day park in downtown Escondido, California. We offer beginning and advanced classes in blacksmithing and the wheelwright crafts. Please scroll down for further information about classes and the history of the Guild.
The Blacksmith Shop
The Bandy Blacksmith Shop is a green corrugated metal building with three main areas: teaching facility, instructor's shop and office, and the wheelwright and woodworking extension. There are three sets of swinging double doors, two face south, opening into Grape Day Park, and one faces west toward the Center for the Arts. A chestnut tree grows in front of the building, completing the picture.
The Arie De Jong Teaching Facility has five forges (which meet EPA standards); each with a Champion 400 hand crank blower, post vise, and anvil. There is also a hand shear, grinder, and cutoff saw. The center of the building features the instructor's brick forge and demonstration area. This part of the shop also includes a line shaft, trip hammer, hack saw, drill press, and a welding station (stick welder) in the back corner. Equipment from the original shop on Kalmia St. includes: the anvil, drill press, reciprocating saw, and power hammer, plus many of the hand tools. The reconstructed shop office includes the original wood facing burned by brands made by the shop, the roll top desk and wooden cash register. The wheelwright shop includes a workbench with vises, a South Bend metal lathe, two wood lathes, mortising machine with hub indexer, hub boring machine, wood jointer, 20" thickness planer, spindle sander, horizontal belt sander, 20" disk sander, table saw, cut off saw, 14" band saw, 20" band saw, drill press, rubber tire machine, wheel horse, hand tools, air compressor, and dust collector.
The wheelwright and woodworking shop was added onto the east end of the building in 2007 and classes started in 2009.
Bandy Blacksmith Guild Honored by City
In May of 2018, 110 years after Tom Bandy established his blacksmith shop and 25 years after the blacksmith shop was moved to a new building in Grape Day Park, the Bandy Blacksmith Guild was honored by Escondido's Historic Preservation Commission and City Council for their efforts to preserve tangible history and to pass on the art of blacksmithing to future generations. Accepting the award from Mayor Sam Abed in the photograph are Arie de Jong and Phil Ewing.
Starting each January, April, and September, beginning and intermediate blacksmith classes are offered at the Bandy Blacksmith Shop through the Escondido History Center. Five students at a time learn the art of blacksmithing by working three hours each Saturday for ten weeks, each with their own forge. Classes are not scheduled during the summer because 0f the heat. The intermediate class meets in the morning and the beginning class in the afternoon. Phil Ewing taught blacksmith classes for fourteen years until the wheelwright shop was constructed. John Kowalski, one of Phil's former students, now teaches all the blacksmith classes. For information about classes, call the Escondido History Center office at (760) 743-8207.
Beginning blacksmith students learn to make some simple tools. The basic shop technology includes building coal fires, an introduction to the tools and their use. Students straighten out automobile coil springs to make chisels and center punches. Then, they learn how to temper. Next, they are taught forge welding and lap welding. Finally they make tongs and hammer heads. Once the basics are mastered, students work on a wide variety of individual projects of their choice. Beginning classes are limited to 5 students. For information about beginning classes, call the Escondido History Center office at (760) 743-8207.
Bandy Blacksmith Guild History
The following history was written by Phil Ewing and daughter Jennifer.
Tom Bandy Blacksmith was established in 1908, on the corner of what was then Ohio (now Valley Parkway) and Kalmia Streets in the town of Escondido, CA. At that time Escondido had a population of about one thousand, and boasted five blacksmith shops. It was in an agricultural area abounding with vineyards and orchards of Sunkist oranges, lemons, and avocados.
Tom had three sons, Fraser, Tom Jr., and Albert, all of whom were very good blacksmiths. During WW-l, Tom Jr. and Fraser worked for the U.S. Army as horseshoers. When the Great Depression hit in the thirties, the shop could not support the entire Bandy family so the two older sons opened a shop in Encinitas, some fifteen miles southeast along the coast. Albert stayed with his father, and the two of them largely escaped the devastating effects of the depression by creating a great deal of ornamental ironwork for an upscale development called Rancho Santa Fe.
By the 1940's the old wooden shop building was deteriorating, not only from age, but also from the effects of a fire. In 1947 a new corrugated metal building was constructed on Kalmia St. in the backyard of the old shop. It was sixty feet square, and stood twenty feet tall at the peak of the roof with double sliding doors on three sides. The machinery was powered by a line shaft, and there were two coal forges in the building. Comfort facilities included an outhouse in the alley. The name on the new building said "Tom Bandy & Son."
Leaving the Bandys for a moment, we turn our attention to Phil Ewing, who started growing vegetables when he was in junior high school. He went to a blacksmith shop in Lakeside, CA that was operated by an old Hopi Indian by the name of Tom LaMadrid for some help in repairing his old worn-out equipment. There Phil was told he needed to learn to fix his own equipment, and in so doing, he soon realized that he enjoyed working on the old agricultural machines even more than he liked using them! He spent a lot of time in Tom LaMadrid`s blacksmith shop, learning wheel repair (for the Southwest Indian nations) and at the same time, immersing himself in the skills of horsemanship. In 1962, Phil was drafted into the Army and sent to Germany. There, he spent a great deal of his off-duty time in the blacksmith shops. Among them he found a man who made wheels for wheelbarrows and small pull wagons.
When he was discharged in 1964, Phil returned to California and went to work for Albert Bandy. While the shop's primary focus at that time was on agricultural machinery, it had begun to install trailer hitches on RVs. In 1968 Mr. Bandy retired, selling the business to Phil and leasing him the building on Kalmia Street. Albert then returned to work for Phil on a part-time basis until his death in 1974.
The Bicentennial in 1976 revived people's interest in the past, and horse-drawn vehicles were pulled out of storage. Knott's Berry Farm (an Orange County amusement park) commissioned the shop to build new wheels for five stage coaches. Since then, ornamental iron work, as well as carriage and wheel work has been the mainstay of the shop. At one time there were as many as five employees. In later years Phil had only his son helping him.
As the new owner, Phil did not change the name of the blacksmith shop, although he did add the word "wheelwright" to it, converting a third of the building to woodworking for carriages and wheels. One of the coal forges was converted to gas, and he built a loft on one side to provide an area to store and dry the carriage wood stock brought in from suppliers in the east.
In 1991 the Escondido City Council, working on downtown redevelopment, determined that the blacksmith shop itself was not historical enough for preservation. Phil moved the shop to some acreage of his own outside of town, and continues to operate the business there. His son-in-law, David, now works with him in the business.
Over the years the shop has shod horses, built and repaired agricultural equipment, including packing machinery for the local fruit packing houses, worked on RVs (trailer hitches and motorcycle racks), produced both interior and exterior ornamental and architectural ironwork for contractors (including spiral staircases, driveway and garden gates, arches, wall sconces, and chandeliers.) It has built or repaired every type of wagon or carriage, including cannon wheels and the 8' rear wheels on a Borax wagon. Like Albert before him, Phil has adapted the production of the shop to the times. By 1991,Tom Bandy & Son was the last general blacksmith shop still operating in Southern California.
As noted above, in the early 1990s, downtown Escondido, CA, experienced a season of redevelopment. Tom Bandy & Son, Blacksmith and Wheelwright, established 1908, near the corner of Valley Parkway and Kalmia Streets, was now just half a block away from, and in view of the newly-built City Hall. Realizing that the blacksmith shop was in the path of redevelopment destruction, several local businessmen approached its owner, Phil Ewing. If he was willing to teach blacksmithing, they would put up the money to build a blacksmith shop in the nearby historical Grape Day Park. Arie De Jong, whose family owned a local dairy, was the principle contributor to the new shop. From 1990 to the opening in April 1993, tools were accumulated and money raised for the new building. Most of the donations came from former customers of the shop.
To build the blacksmith shop at the Escondido History Center in Grape Day Park, required getting approval from the city of Escondido and the county of San Diego. The county had an initial misunderstanding about the nature of blacksmithing coal; it was believed to be a hazardous waste. The city also had concerns about the new shop, citing questions about soil conservation, because the shop backed against Escondido Creek.
Grape Day Park was originally the school yard for Lime Street School. In 1906 Escondido Creek flooded and undermined the school which had to be torn down. The townspeople made the space into a park. Around that time, the city of Escondido celebrated the final payment of the bonds that had been sold to raise money to build the Lake Wolford Dam, bringing in vital water for agriculture, by burning the bonds on Grand Avenue. Desiring to establish an annual celebration, the mayor happened to see an article about Muscat grapes having the greatest sugar content in California, and he decided to adopt grapes as the symbol. The first "Grape Day" was celebrated in 1908 with a parade. It continued until 1947. By that time the major agricultural product had changed to citrus. Nearly forty years later, the Grape Day Festival and Parade was revived in 1996. At one time the Grape Day Parade attendance rivaled that of the Rose Parade in Pasadena.
The area of the park encompasses the Escondido City Hall, the California Center for the Arts, and the Escondido History Center, including the city's first library (which houses the center's offices, exhibits), a Victorian country home (1890), a barn (1890), Santa Fe Depot (1888) with a Pullman Railroad car, and the Bandy Blacksmith Shop (reproduction of the original 1908 building).
Ironically, one of the reasons the blacksmith shop was targeted for demolition was because of the new Arts Center being built on the far side of the City Hall. Its supporters did not want a blacksmith shop in their vicinity. (When the trip hammer was used, you could hear it for blocks.) Today, because of its location among the historical buildings, the shop is now one of the closest buildings to the Center. When there are art shows or exhibitions at the Center, the decorative and functional ironwork entries generally take the prizes.