The Full Story
About the Chambers Lobby Display
In 2020, City Manager Jeff Epp approached the Escondido History Center Executive Director Robin Fox to provide a new display for the City Council Chambers Lobby. With a wealth of artifacts and photographs to choose from, it was decided that the history of Escondido's City Halls would be appropriate. Escondido's primary government building had occupied three different sites in its history and it was anticipated that the three sections of the display cabinet would serve perfectly. We at the Escondido History Center hope that you find what we have provided to be informative and interesting.
We thank City staff, especially Bernadette Bjork and the graphics department, who provided the background photo enlargments.
The First City Hall
The first city hall was built on Grand Avenue in ... Little remains of the building after its most recent redecorating efforts transforming it into a sushi restaurant.
The Second Location
City Hall was moved to the knoll where Valley Boulevard and Grand Avenue meet in 1938. The building was a WPA project, built of adobe brick. Police Headquarters and the Fire Department were located alongside. In ...., the building experienced a facelift for a more "modern" look and a large curved wall featured letters that made it clear that this was "Escondido City Hall." The building was demolished in 198? to extend Palomar Medical Center's great lawn.